Saturday, August 22, 2009

Art, And Lies

The other week Necortitties and I gave a lecture on queer art at the National Art School (for a predominately non-queer audience). It was a JOY to research and write up and discuss, and made me realise that maybe, just maybe, I can enjoy teaching somehow. And made me wonder (again) if perhaps I have been barking up the wrong tree, looking in the wrong places, in respects to my own academic work-- its the ART stuff that really grabs me, that makes me wet, that hardens me nipples and gets me wanting to read theory and to create beautiful objects. Writing as an artform, practice-led research, the materiality of words, art and alchemy, art and life, the texture of text...

But I digress. What I wanted to discuss here was some of the comments we got after the paper. We had given examples of some of our own performance pieces, mostly blood work, and naturally people were curious and so question time largely focussed on our process, the meaning of the pieces, the effect that making this work had on us and such. We answered as honestly as we could, and people seemed quite blown away at our frankness. I was surprised that they were surprised.

And this got me thinking about how being openly and brazenly queer contributed to my own answers. About how commonplace it has become for me to be fielding questions about how I live my life, my relationships, my kinks and such, about how the support of my community has given my the space and the strength in which to act upon and articulate my desires. About how I wasn't ashamed of anything I get up to, or who I get up to it with, and about how damned lucky I am to be where I am in the world. Blessed.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi zoo, my name polly i was one of predominating non gay audience members at the national art school. Im writing a speech based around your work right now, trying to find pictures like the ones you showed on your performances (with not much luck)and mostly im trying to get to a point.. in the speech and right now. i think im not shocked, i think there was initial shock, but a comforting reminder of normailty, that i think its fun to make people feel unforfotable and ill at ease, to remind them of our humainess/animal insticts.. and that pain can be refreshing.

12:06 am  
Blogger Zoo said...

hey polly,

thanks for your feedback and how exciting about your speech! we can help out with images and info-- just email me (freelanceprovocateur at gmail dot com) with what you need and i'll send some stuff through...

cheers

zoo

8:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks zoo, sent you an email....xxx

1:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home