Friday, August 28, 2009

I Wanna Be Adorned


This is part of my latest inkjob, which starts getting coloured next Wednesday. Best mate of mine asked if the background was going to be coloured too, or whether you would be able to see my flesh behind the image. It had never occurred to me to colour the background, and the idea of it really irked me for reasons I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Then I realised that it was because I like the option to be unclothed sometimes. I am heavily adorned-- scars, tatts, piercings-- but to me they are jewellery more than clothing. An adornment rather than a covering.

My overall vision, how I imagine I would like my body to look, indeed, how it already looks I suppose, is like an old building (a temple and all *rolls eyes*). Bits of it damaged, cracked or missing altogether, worn smooth by the elements, dust collecting in the corners and crevices, random graffitti in places, the odd sparkle of stained glass and gilt...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam Aaron said...

Love the description of how you see your body. The body as a building. Graffiti can tell stories of lives lived and people/periods of time. It's a beautiful description.

7:31 pm  
Blogger Zoo said...

thanks :) studies in architecture offer a lot that is useful for investigating how we conceptualise our bodies...

8:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home