Monday, March 12, 2007

Out and About

Have been out and about being all cultural the last few weeks. Two nights at the Studio, first seeing The Tiger Lillies, a bizarre three piece from Europe who sing very wrong cabaret-style songs about gonorrhea and banging the nails into Jesus. Ended up drinking with them afterwards at the Opera Bar, especially hanging out with the drummer Adrian (who bore an odd resemblence to my grrlBear Daddy of Copenhagen). Then the next week we went and saw David Hoyle perform a mixture of general ranting about boring gay people, painting, singing and encouraging us to overthrow the state. Perfect! Particularly perfect for me was that he is from Manchester, same as my Dad, and has that great Northern humour that's black as pitch- and I ablolutely love.

Volunteering for Queer Screen allowed me to see the amazing Boy I Am, a documentary about FTMs and feminism (featuring Judith "Jack" Halberstam), Paper Dolls, another doco, this time about Filipino transwomen who work in Tel Aviv as carers for elderly Jewish men by day and do fabulous drag shows by night and The Itty Bitty Titty Committee, a hilarious (fictional) story of the C.I.A (Clits In Action), a bunch of militant feminist activists by the director (?) of But I'm A Cheerleader.

Aside from that, went to Gurlesque (yummy! especially sitting on the lap of a rather cute creature from Melbourne), and saw the Owen Leong milk pieces (inspiring). Now, I just need to start making some work of my own again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home