Friday, May 16, 2008

Word For The Day

Lepidopterous: belonging or pertaining to the Lepidoptera, an order of insects comprising the butterflies, moths, and skippers, that in the adult state have four membranous wings more or less covered with small scales.

Thankyou Westie. You do indeed teach me many things.

Don't know if I ever mentioned this, but years ago I had a mini-phobia concerning moths. It centred on the fact that they are furry, and that one might fly into my mouth and I would be trying to spit it out but the fur would be damp with saliva and therefore would stick to my tongue and teeth, and it would taste brown-grey with a little crunch in the middle, and would be fluttering about my throat... (ooh, it was an awful thing to ponder, and from memory somehow tied to reading something about drowning kittens and imaging that sort of still-warm soggy fur. Around the same time I had a morbid fear of accidentally picking up the razor instead of the toothbrush, and absentmindedly shaving my teeth, which prompted much shivering as I dwelt upon the sensation of blade into enamel... What prompted that one is anyone's guess.)

Anyhow, I digress. Back to pretty, pretty butterflies!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Urban (r)Evolutionary said...

yup. i had a phase of hairy-moth phobia too. ik.

5:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home