Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ghosts

20 years I spent a semester in an adolescent psych facility (basically because I wouldn't go to school, and was pretty adament and stroppy about it). It was a strange time, sad but not entirely so, and it taught me a lot in ways that weren't in the program (smoking and cutting, for a start, but also more positive things). There were magnolia trees and an old boat shed and huge gardens and much magic in the making somehow-- the buildings were formerly a convalescent hospital. I wrote poetry there, I think, worked on my moontan, and read The Bell Jar. I met my first boyfriend there. He used to wear eyeliner, listen to Nick Cave and steal his mother's brain meds.

Last night we went to visit a young friend who is in the mental health facility right next door to the one I was in. Different institution as such, but was still a little odd to be driving down that road again. It has been a long time, and I wonder where that girl ever got to...

'I used to sometimes try to catch her, but never even caught her name'

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne Bentley said...

'I used to sometimes try to catch her, but never even caught her name'
- must mean somehow, she's still free
A xo

1:11 pm  
Blogger Zoo said...

anne! haven't seen you around in ages...

very good point :)

ta xx

1:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home