Wednesday, September 27, 2006

33 Zen Lane

This gorgeous Spring Day is making me think even more than usual of moving North next year...

i'll have a big back yard to run in
and a big oak tree for climbing
and a wrap around porch to sip homemade iced tea
that brewed in the sun while i watched it
i'll whisper my secrets to the wind
their dollars to me won't mean nothing
except maybe to keep the weeds down
in my vegetable garden
my mail will come to 33 zen lane
in a county called rushing river
that's its native name
my family will be my friends
my friends will be my home
you can't call me you'll just have to come
because i won't have a phone

- Bitch and Animal '33 Zen Lane'

Well, my piece of Queer Country Utopia will have a phone, and broadband. And also a big verandah wrapped in fairy lights, wind chimes tinkling in the breeze and big comfy chairs to sit in the shade and read in. A kitchen garden and herbs growing by the back door: garlic, shallots, ginger, tomatoes, passionfruit, watermelons, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, potatoes, kumera, english spinach, lettuce, radishes, corn, avocado, mushrooms, strawberries, basil, coriander, thyme, parsley, lemons, kaffir limes, mandarins, mulberries, bok choy, lemongrass, chilli, rosemary, oregano etc. A hammock built for two or three (or more) in the backyard, and a tyre swing hanging from a tree. Worm farm and compost bin. My big BBQ, and citronella torches to keep away the mozzies while the vegie burgers are cooking. A bonfire for winter and a kiddy pool for summer and totem tennis for any old time. A quirky letterbox. A chook run so I can eat happy hen eggies. Wooden floorboards and plenty of beanbags to flop about in. A study with huge bookshelves and a play room with a rubber floor and toy cabinet and a sling.

Had enough from my tax return to start the 'La Shaggin' Wagon' fund. Just need to get my licence, buy a car, work out Uni, find a place and pack up and get myself up there. Hopefully by April/May next year...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home