Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Meet Crip Chick

This is another stunning link I have nicked from Nix's blog. Check out Crip Chick! Especially this post from March 18, entitled 'Is this what they call pissing on pity?':

Just. Like. Everyone. Else. Except that particular statement never works. When people hear disabled people say that, they assume that we want to be able-bodied or that we want to somehow separate ourselves from disability. I am proud to be who I am and am not sure how this is message is confused with the wish to be treated equally, or just like everyone else. You will not hear me claim that disability does not define me, in fact, it is an integral part of who I am. Is identity not inherently connected to one’s experiences or how one is perceived?

This is not to say life is not a struggle when one does not fit into dominant culture. My life is one of resisting assimilation [being absorbed into another culture]and struggling to find pride in who I am. Assimilation comes in many forms. Sometimes it is subtle, like temporarily wishing I could take off the disabled/queer/Corean hat and just be a college student. Sometimes it’s more explicit, like the year I spent immersed in only country music and cowboy boots or whenever I choose advocacy over activism because I am buying into the messages that says it is the only way to do something.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger cripchick said...

thanks for the link, i'm glad to have come across your blog!

12:52 pm  
Blogger Zoo said...

anytime- your blog is amazing! quite timely when i came across it too, as had just given an interview about my lactation work and when i read it there was a LOT of 'yeah, she's kinda weird-looking but hey, wow! she's an academic too and all smart!' in it... very disturbing, and somewhat patronising, i mean, did i request a(nother) 'she's just like you and me?' job... geez... so your 'pissing on pity' piece it really hit a chord...thanks!

12:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home