Thursday, July 17, 2008

'Perth Is A Cultural Wasteland'

Or so people had told me before I arrived here. 'Its tiny, there are no clubs, the beer is shite, you won't last a week!'seemed to be the general consensus, yet in less than two weeks being here I have: seen Pugsley Buzzard Watering Can do a ridiculous set at Feral Brewery; watched the sun set OVER the ocean; attended a film festival; participated in an international conference; learned to appreciate Swan Draught, and pints, at the Court, whilst cruising Bears; done two photo shoots; danced my arse off in a Kooky-esque club (Zoo), twice; gone to some sort of dyke drinks night... and next week attending Short Performance night/s at PICA, and many road trips and arty adventures already in the planning, and apparently there is some freaky taxidermy museum worth visiting and... I love it here. (And NOT just because of the Monster, as much as that helps.)

Life, and Perth, be what you make it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Urban (r)Evolutionary said...

true.

the difference in Perth is that entertainment and interest needs to be actively sought out - it's there, just not on tap.

and screw swan draught.. get into our local boutique beers, they're ace. :)

11:52 am  
Blogger Zoo said...

True, but I think I am used to having to seek out the good stuff anyway! Sure, we do have lots of interesting mainstream art and performance thrust at us in Sydney (Biennale, Opera House program, a zillion theatre companies etc) but you still need to do a bit of digging to find the really quirky gems. It is in my nature to hunt :)

Re the Beer, well, I have to embrace my inner bogan somehow! And the Court on a Friday night did not seem to warrant any posh boutique beverages. Swan, scrubbers and shite music- PERFECT!

11:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home