Friday, August 01, 2008

Come To Me New

Her eyes were full of tears. I had hurt her. I regretted telling her those stories about my girlfriends. I had wanted to make her laugh and she had laughed at the time. Now I had strewn our path with barbs. She didn't trust me. As a friend I had been amusing. As a lover I was lethal. I could see that. I wouldn't want to have much to do with me. I knelt on the floor and clasped her legs against my chest.

'Tell me what you want and I'll do it.'

She stroked my hair. 'I want you to come to me without a past. Those lines you've learned, forget them. Forget that you've been here before in other bedrooms in other places. Come to me new. Never say you love me until the day when you have proved it.'

-- Jeanette Winterson
Written on the Body

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WAS READING THAT SAME PAGE LAST NIGHT

Are we particles in the same cathode ray?

10:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home