Monday, October 26, 2009

Growing Old Disgracefully

Worked out one of the things that unsettles me most in Perth yesterday-- people seem to accept that growing UP is somehow compulsary. Was asking some mates whether they were participating in the Pride Parade, and the general consensus was that this was something one did when one was young and then you retired gracefully to watch it from the sidelines. Fair enough if these mates were 70 years old, but a bit odd to me when most of them hadn't even hit 30. Hmm. It happens in other ways too, people past their mid-20s here don't play dress-ups nearly as much as my crusty old mates back home, and, well... they are all just so sensible and ADULT with careers and cars and mortgages and baby plans and whatnot. I'm beginning to feel like some sort of juvenile deliquent...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous (r)evolutionary said...

Yep. There's lot of old, staid, Perth people. The population here is essentially conservative, and it's reflected in the gay and lesbian community (I refer to it that way very specifically).

On the other hand... mortgage+car+career+baby(plans) does not automatically exclude dress-ups+debauchery. Rather, it's that the former is engaged in in a far less obvious way.

Which for me personally, I've decided I like. I like the subversiveness of thinking delicious thoughts (or better yet, tasting his cock/her c*nt in my mouth, or feeling that ache between my shoulder blades, or..) as I walk down the street all suited and conservative looking..

2:39 pm  
Blogger Zoo said...

very very true-- some of the biggest perverts I know in Sydney own property and drive fancy cars and have kiddies and careers and look for all the world like proper people :)

2:44 pm  
Anonymous Meredith said...

That's one of the reasons I love Sydney--it's full of ageing juvenile delinquent refugees from other places. Glad you're here not there, Zoo.

7:57 am  
Blogger nixwilliams said...

it was great to catch up with you two yesterday - i really enjoyed kicking back and relaxing with a cider (heh).

12:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://neverorforever.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57&p=161#p161

7:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home